KPVI-DT is the local NBC affiliated television station for Idaho Falls and Pocatello, Idaho. Licensed to Pocatello, it broadcasts a digital signal on channel 23. The station is owned by Intermountain West Communications Company.
|Pocatello/Idaho Falls, Idaho|
|Branding||KPVI News 6|
|Slogan||Your News Source For East Idaho|
|Channels||Digital: 23 (UHF)|
|Affiliations||National Broadcasting Company|
|Owner||Intermountain West Communications Company
(Oregon Trail Broadcasting Company))
|First air date||April 26, 1974|
|Call letters' meaning||Pocatello
VI = Roman numeral 6
|Former callsigns||KPVI (1974-2009)|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
6 (VHF, 1974-2009)
|Former affiliations||ABC (1974-1996)|
|Transmitter power||505 kW|
KPVI's transmitter is located on a mountain top about 4 miles (7 km) ENE of the Pocatello city limits, along with its sister station KFXP. This location was chosen because of possible interference from KIVI-TV in Boise, which also broadcast its analog signal on channel 6. At one time, KPVI and KIVI were sister stations (hence the Roman numerals) with the same affiliation (ABC, until 1996). KPVI broadcast its analog signal at 100 kW.
KPVI's broadcasts are digital-only, effective June 12, 2009.
KPVI signed on in 1974 as an ABC affiliate. Previously, ABC had been carried in off-hours by CBS affiliate KID-TV (now KIDK) and NBC affiliate KIFI-TV. In November 1995, Intermountain West Communications Company, owner of NBC stations KVBC (now KSNV-DT) in Las Vegas, NV, KRNV in Reno, NV and KYMA in Yuma, AZ purchased KPVI and satellite stations KJVI (now KJWY) in Jackson, WY and KKVI (now KXTF) in Twin Falls, ID. The three stations remained with ABC until January 1996 when KPVI and KJVI switched to NBC, swapping affiliations with KIFI. Since NBC programming in Twin Falls was provided by Boise NBC affiliate KTVB via translator, KKVI switched from ABC to Fox. KJVI, which became KJWY several months later, remained a semi-satellite of KPVI until it was sold to PMCM TV, LLC in 2009.
As a result of the sale to Intermountain West Communications Company, the station moved in the mid-1990s from a smaller downtown facility to a newly remodeled facility on East Sherman Street. Saturday Night Live star Molly Shannon was the guest of honor at the official grand opening of the facility.
Due to an ailing economy in January 2011, KPVI announced significant layoffs affecting people in every department at the station, including 12 in news. In addition to personnel cuts, the station also eliminated all weekend newscasts. The announcement of layoffs came nearly a week after former News Director and Main Anchor, Brenda Baumgartner announced her resignation.
Baumgartner's co-anchor and Assistant News Director, Todd Blackinton will be the new News Director at the station.
The changes at KPVI News 6 come less than a month after CBS affiliate, KIDK, said they would lay off 27 of its 43 employees as they entered a staff-sharing agreement with KIFI Local News 8.
Monday - Friday
- KPVI News 6- 6-7 a.m.
- KPVI News 6- 5-5:30 p.m.
- KPVI News 6- 6-6:30 p.m.
- KPVI News 6- 10-10:30 p.m.
- Arco, Idaho: K13VK
- Ashton, Idaho: K13YF
- Blackfoot, Idaho: K13VI
- Challis, Idaho: K04OH, K07VI
- Driggs, Idaho: K51HF
- Firth, Idaho: K12OE
- Georgetown, Idaho: K17CO
- Idaho Falls, Idaho: K12NZ
- Inkom, Idaho: K07NO
- Leadore, Idaho: K30BU, K34CB
- Montpelier, Idaho: K11PP
- Pescadero, Idaho: K29BM
- Pocatello, Idaho: K12OA
- Ramsey, Tendoy & Baker, Idaho: K55AI
- Rexburg, Idaho: K13UF
- Salmon, Idaho: K59AV
- Shelley, Idaho: K13VI
- Soda Springs, Idaho: K46BW
- St. Anthony, Idaho: K12OB
- Thayne, Wyoming: K12LI
- West Yellowstone, Montana: K32CG
These translators are either owned and operated by KPVI or by local governments or television associations.
Current on-air staff
- Todd Blackinton - weeknights at 6 and 10(also News Director)
- Matt Davenport - weekdays at 5 and 9 on Fox
- Stuart Summers - weekday mornings at 6
- Kris Milgate - outdoor reporter
- Phil Campbell - general assignment reporter
- Doug Iverson (AMS/NWA Seals of Approval) - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 5, 6 and 10 p.m.
- Brandi Erickson - weather anchor; weekday mornings
- Matt Gittins - sports director
Former on-air staff
- Tracy Barry - anchor/reporter (1978-1982, now weekday anchor at KGW, Portland, OR)
- Steve Weiss - reporter/anchor/sports (1979-1981)
- Monique Soltani- NBC NewsChannel 6 Today anchor/reporter (now at KPIX-TV, San Francisco, CA)
- Ryan Yamamoto - (now Sports-Anchor Reporter at KXTV, Sacramento)
- Matt Horn- KPVI News 6 Reporter (now at KSNW, Wichita, KS)
- Scott Stevens - 5/6/10 Anchor-Meteorologist 1996-2005 Now : weatherwars.info
- NewsCenter 6 (?–1984)
- Channel 6 Eyewitness News (1984–1996)
- NBC News 6 (1996–1999)
- NBC NewsChannel 6 (1999–2010)
- KPVI News 6 (2010–?)
- KPVI News (?-present)
- Eastern Idaho's Best News Team (early 1990s-1996)
- Where News Comes First (1996-2011)
- Your News Source for East Idaho (2011-Present)
- KPVI-DT website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KPVI
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KPVI-DT